Are you a fan of Attack on Titan? Do you want to learn more about the Japanese language and culture? In this article, we will explore the use of the ～たとたん construction in Japanese, and how it is used in the popular anime series Attack on Titan.
Attack on Titan is a popular anime series that has captured the hearts of fans all over the world. The series is set in a world where humanity lives in fear of Titans, giant humanoid creatures that devour humans without reason. The story follows Eren Yeager, a young boy who vows to destroy all Titans after they destroy his hometown and kill his mother.
What is the ～たとたん construction?
The ～たとたん construction is a Japanese grammar structure that is used to express immediate reactions to actions. It is often translated as “as soon as” or “just as” in English. The structure is formed by taking the past tense of a verb and adding とたん to the end.
– 電車に乗ったとたん、雨が降り出した。(As soon as I got on the train, it started raining.)
– ドアを開けたとたん、猫が逃げた。(Just as I opened the door, the cat ran away.)
– テストが始まったとたん、彼女は緊張し始めた。(As soon as the test started, she began to feel nervous.)
How is the ～たとたん construction used in Attack on Titan?
In Attack on Titan, the ～たとたん construction is often used to express the sudden and unexpected actions of the Titans. The characters in the series are constantly on guard, as the Titans can appear at any moment and attack without warning.
– タイタンが現れたとたん、兵士たちは武器を取り出した。(Just as the Titan appeared, the soldiers took out their weapons.)
– 巨人が壁を破ったとたん、人々はパニックに陥った。(As soon as the giant broke through the wall, the people panicked.)
– エレンが巨人に変身したとたん、周りの人々は驚きの声を上げた。(Just as Eren transformed into a Titan, the people around him gasped in surprise.)
– 電車 (densha) – train
– 降り出す (furidasu) – to start raining
– ドア (doa) – door
– 猫 (neko) – cat
– 逃げる (nigeru) – to run away
– テスト (tesuto) – test
– 始まる (hajimaru) – to start
– 緊張する (kinchou suru) – to feel nervous
– 現れる (arawareru) – to appear
– 兵士 (heishi) – soldier
– 武器 (buki) – weapon
– 巨人 (kyojin) – giant
– 壁 (kabe) – wall
– パニック (panikku) – panic
– 変身する (henshin suru) – to transform
In conclusion, the ～たとたん construction is a useful grammar structure in Japanese that is often used to express immediate reactions to actions. In Attack on Titan, it is used to convey the sudden and unexpected actions of the Titans, adding to the tension and excitement of the series. By learning this grammar structure and the vocabulary related to it, you can deepen your understanding of the Japanese language and culture.
1. What is the ～たとたん construction used for in Japanese?
– The ～たとたん construction is used to express immediate reactions to actions.
2. How is the ～たとたん construction used in Attack on Titan?
– In Attack on Titan, the ～たとたん construction is often used to express the sudden and unexpected actions of the Titans.
3. What is the story of Attack on Titan about?
– Attack on Titan is a story about humanity living in fear of Titans, giant humanoid creatures that devour humans without reason.
4. What is the Japanese word for “train”?
– The Japanese word for “train” is 電車 (densha).
5. What is the Japanese word for “panic”?
– The Japanese word for “panic” is パニック (panikku).